It's difficult to put together an exhaustive list of signs that a young person might be thinking about running away from home.
Every child handles problems or deals with stress in different ways, but here's a list of things to watch out for.
Spot the warning signs
- Staying out later than agreed / pushing boundaries
- Not wanting to come home from school, youth club or friends' houses
- Staying over at friends' houses more frequently, or staying with other family members to avoid coming home
- Playing truant, or doing less well at school
- Behaving very differently - for example, acting more aggressively or becoming withdrawn
- Developing new interests outside school, hanging around with a new crowd, or starting a new relationship
- Showing signs of drug or alcohol abuse
- Being very secretive when using the internet