Give more at no extra cost

Through Gift Aid, we can claim the basic tax rate on every pound you donate. That means, as long as you’re a UK tax payer, your donation is worth 25% more to us. All you need to do is fill in the form or tick the box when making your online donation.

 MG 7796 Opt

What is Gift Aid?

The Gift Aid scheme allows charities to reclaim the tax on all donations. It doesn't matter how frequently you give, or how much.

Which of my donations are valid?

Any donation made to Railway Children (including those made via Standing Order and Direct Debit) on or after 6 April 2002 are eligible under the Gift Aid scheme if you are a UK tax payer, except CAF or Give as you Earn. Donations made through CAF and payroll giving not eligible as the tax has already been reclaimed.
The donation must be your own money. If you're donating money on behalf of a company, or you've collected the money from other people, the donation is ineligible for Gift Aid.

Is there a minimum value for a Gift Aid donation?

There is no minimum value, as long you've paid the necessary Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax.

Do I have to be a resident in the UK?

No. As long as you pay Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax charged in the UK, you can be a resident anywhere in the world.

How much tax must I have paid?

You must have paid or will pay an amount in Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax to cover the amount Railway Children and any other charities or Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) will reclaim in the tax year (from 6 April to 5 April of the following year). Inheritance Tax, Council Tax and VAT do not qualify towards Gift Aid.

What happens if I stop paying tax?

Just give us the date you stopped paying tax and we'll take care of the rest.

Can my partner and I make a joint declaration?

Yes. You need to include the full names, addresses and signatures of both partners on the declaration form. Please note that you will need to make it clear from whom each eligible donation originates.

What if I am a higher rate tax payer?

In this case, we can claim the basic rate of tax and you can claim the additional tax relief through your self assessment tax return.

For further information about Gift Aid, please contact Railway Children at